"Do not neglect medical treatment when it is necessary, but leave it off when health has been restored...Treat disease through diet, by preference, refraining from the use of drugs." - Bahá'u'lláh

Friday, March 05, 2010

Rishi Organic Sencha




I recently treated myself to two loose-leaf teas from Milwaukee-based Rishi Tea. One of them is a fine Japanese tea called Sencha. According to Rishi, "Sencha is the most beloved tea of Japan. Developed in the 18th century, the process of making Sencha has evolved into the art and science of preserving the fresh green character and healthy components of tealeaves."

Today I decided to brew my first pot of this tea. I very meticulously boiled 8 ounces of fresh water, allowed it to cool to 180°F, poured it over 1 tablespoon of sencha and let it brew for 3 minutes before decanting the tea.

The initial aroma was calming and intoxicating. I then slowly sipped the green liquor and my mouth was filled with an incredibly full palette of vegetal flavors—I could pull out grass, asparagus, and bitter greens in particular.

The flavor was very strong, but quite good. I highly recommend trying it. You can either come over and have me brew you a cup (recommended), or you can buy 60 grams online for $14.

Link: Rishi Store-Organic Sencha

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Haha this is awesome. Can we expect more like this?
Also: Will you be doing meat reviews, too? :)

dan said...

I'd say it's fairly likely that the future holds more reviews of tea and food, and meat is a food now, so it's fair game :)

emily oi! said...

excellent suggestion!

Anonymous said...

I like your photo very much, however I think you will still have to learn a lot about brewing tea, especially green tea. Steeping Sencha for 3 minutes must have just killed all the fantastic taste of it. You steep green tea only for a few seconds, however you can repeat this process many times.