"Do not neglect medical treatment when it is necessary, but leave it off when health has been restored...Treat disease through diet, by preference, refraining from the use of drugs." - Bahá'u'lláh

Monday, March 08, 2010

Chicken Avocado Boats



Tonight for dinner I made a recipe that I found at SCDrecipe.comChicken Avocado Boats. They took a bit of effort, but they were absolutely delicious! I ate three myself.

Here is the original recipe, with my comments in italics:

Chicken Avocado Boats
Serves 3

Ingredients

2 cups diced cooked chicken
3 large ripe avocados
1/2 - 3/4 cup shredded sharp cheddar cheese
6 tablespoons lemon juice (I used lime juice.)
3/4 cup homemade mayonnaise (I used mayo from Trader Joe's, which as far as I know is SCD-legal.)
1 1/2 tablespoons grated onion
1/4 teaspoon celery salt (I used garlic salt.)
1 clove chopped garlic
salt to taste
pepper to taste

Instructions

1. Cut avocados lengthwise, take out pit (leave skin on), sprinkle each half with 1 tablespoon lemon juice, set aside

2. Preheat oven to 350 degrees (F.)

3. Combine mayonnaise, onion, celery salt, garlic, salt & pepper in medium sized bowl, stir in chix, mix well.

4. Drain excess lemon juice from avocado halves.

5. Fill with chicken mixture, sprinkle with cheese

6. Arrange filled avocado halves in single layer in baking dish.

7. Pour water into same dish to depth of half inch.

8. Bake for 15 minutes or until cheese melts.

From Anne Worcester

Thanks Anne!

5 comments:

Unknown said...

These. Look. Delicious.

Erin said...

I concur.

Unknown said...

Update: they WERE delicious!

Anonymous said...

Just came across your blog and I love your recipes!

We don't have a trader joes in Canada and I haven't been able to find a scd legal mayo anywhere. When I make it myself it always comes out runny salad dressing.

dan said...

@Anisa Glad you liked them!

@Anonymous Thanks! I only made my own mayo once and it turned out ok (I followed the basic recipe here: http://www.easy-french-food.com/mayonnaise-recipe.html). The author of that recipe says that the key is to start adding the oil very slowly (drop by drop for the first tablespoon) before gradually working up to a drizzle.