"Do not neglect medical treatment when it is necessary, but leave it off when health has been restored...Treat disease through diet, by preference, refraining from the use of drugs." - Bahá'u'lláh

Thursday, March 11, 2010

Chicken Tamarind Coconut Curry Pizza



Tonight I made an amazing SCD pizza!

The crust recipe came from Sarah Maurer on the scdinfo Yahoo! group, and I improvised the rest. It turned out quite well, I must say.

Chicken Tamarind Coconut Curry Pizza
Serves 2-3

Ingredients:

Crust:
  • 1-1/2 cups almond flour

 (I used 1 cup blanched almond flour and 1/2 cup unblanched almond meal)
  • 1 Tablespoon olive oil


  • 2 eggs


  • ½ teaspoon salt


  • 1 clove garlic – finely chopped
  • 

1 teaspoon basil


  • 1 teaspoon oregano (I didn't have any oregano, so I omitted it)
  • 

1 teaspoon parsley


Toppings:
  • Tamarind Curry Simmer Sauce (see notes below)
  • Freshly grated monterrey jack cheese
  • 1 grilled chicken breast, cubed
  • Sliced bell peppers

Directions:
  1. Combine crust ingredients in a bowl and form into a dough ball.
  2. Spread oil onto a pizza 
pan or stone and then roll out dough onto it.
  3. Bake the 
crust at 375°F for 5-7 minutes.
  4. Add sauce and toppings, and bake at 375°F for another 8-10 minutes.

Notes:

I found the Maya Kaimal curry simmer sauce at Larry's Market in Brown Deer, WI. A picture of the container is below, along with another showing the ingredients, which appear to be SCD-legal. The product page on the company's website says the following, however, so use at your own risk: 
WARNING: This product is prepared and packaged on machines that may come into contact with dairy, wheat, soy and tree nuts. We regret if you are unable to enjoy our products.
 

4 comments:

Unknown said...

Great blog! I like the different types of recipes ;-)

Unknown said...

I'm glad you included how the dough was made. Because that's why I came here, after seeing photos on buzz :)

Also, hilarious note: The google-sponsored add right below this blog entry was for "Den's Green Tea." Not even kidding. I took a screen shot but then realized I had nothing to do with it. Oh well.

dan said...

@resting_rabbit: thanks!

@Anisa I saw that ad too! It made me smile :)

Paul Stocker said...

Hi Dan,

I just found this post via your flickr photostream and thought you'd like to know that the curry simmer sauce is illegal. Tamarind is certainly illegal, and whenever a product's ingredient list includes the vague term "spices" it is likely to be illegal.

Cheers,
Paul