"Do not neglect medical treatment when it is necessary, but leave it off when health has been restored...Treat disease through diet, by preference, refraining from the use of drugs." - Bahá'u'lláh

Thursday, February 25, 2010

A New Beginning

It seems like the time is ripe to begin blogging again. Perhaps it is because I'm in the hospital and have an abundance of time to think and write, combined with the fact that it seems I suddenly have a lot to write about.

The current year has been rather eventful thus far, bringing very unexpected changes to my life, especially in the area of health. Seemingly out of nowhere, I developed gastrointestinal symptoms in January and in February I was diagnosed with an inflammatory bowel disease called ulcerative colitis, which ended up putting me in the hospital for 16 days and counting. It has been an entirely new experience for me, certainly with its inconveniences and unpleasantries, but overall I think it has profoundly changed my perspective on life in a positive way. (I may develop this theme in a separate post in the near future.)

In resurrecting this blog once again, I hope to do all or some of the following:

  • Keep family and friends informed about my condition and my life in general
  • Provide information and support for others who suffer from ulcerative colitis and related ailments
  • Keep track of the majority of what I cook and eat (I plan to start a strict diet in the near future—also a topic for a future post.)
  • Share recipes and photographs
As in the past, no guarantees that this will be a sustained, ongoing effort, but I hope to keep it up for a while at least!

8 comments:

Leif Nabil said...

Thanks for sharing!
Have you tried out patientslikeme.com? Their ulcerative colitis community is slim but the systematic site seems up your alley. (TED Talk) The creator of the sight also worked on a film True Guts.

dan said...

Thanks for the links, Leif! I just finished watching the TED talk...fascinating concept. I've heard of the True Guts film, and I think I watched a trailer a while back. I'll have to check it out again.

adimica the beautiful said...

Cool the read you again. Sorry such a major change sparked it, but all's for good in the end, huh? I am glad to see you are staying positive. Be well.

Nobodyatall said...

FINALLY! I have tried to bully you into updating so many times.

I want to hear how it changed your life.

Aaron Brungardt said...

Hi DAN. I am not commenting on your blog post. I am using this as a medium to send you this coded message. if you can't figure out the code, contact me and I will help you out.

RQF, O DOLL NGX. O IGHT NGX QKT VTTS TFGUI ZG UG IGDT LGGF. O IQCT FG UGGR KTQLGF YGK ZIT EGRT GZITK ZIQF ZG UOVT NGX LGDTZIOFU ZG DG. IGLHOZQSL EQF WT WGKOFU.

dan said...

Haha, took me a while, but I finally decoded the message. Thanks for the challenge!

(DAN, I MISS YOU. I HOPE YOU ARE WELL ENOUGH TO GO HOME SOON. I HAVE NO GOOD REASON FOR THE CODE OTHER THAN TO GIVE YOU SOMETHING TO DO. HOSPITALS CAN BE BORING.)

Anonymous said...

Dan,

It is wonderful and inspiration to read your blog. I hope you are able to occupy such a healthy, spiritual, and postive head/heart space forever! all the best to you.

Celeste

Unknown said...
This comment has been removed by the author.