"Do not neglect medical treatment when it is necessary, but leave it off when health has been restored...Treat disease through diet, by preference, refraining from the use of drugs." - Bahá'u'lláh

Thursday, February 25, 2010

Lemon baked tilapia

Today is a big day.

I have decided to break with my ten-and-a-half-year-long tradition of strict vegetarianism and order fish for lunch!

I'm doing it partly because it seems like as good a time as any (I've often felt that it was inertia keeping me vegetarian rather than hard-core adherence to ethical principle, although I have continued to see some value in vegetarianism.) Another reason is that the new diet I plan to start when I'm back home (post forthcoming) would be quite difficult to keep up with no sources of animal protein. Also, I've lost approximately 20 pounds since getting sick (!), so hopefully this will help me get back to a normal weight. Furthermore, fish and fish oil in particular are supposed to be very good for treating inflammation of the digestive tract, which is the principle cause of symptoms in ulcerative colitis. Lastly, I'm really curious how it will taste after all these years!


Update: Well, that was pretty delicious, I must say. I look forward to trying the non-hospital version!

9 comments:

Ben Grimes said...

Whoa, Dan a meat-eater! Sorry to hear about all this mess but i'm am happy to hear you have found purpose in it all :) Sin embargo, I do hope that tortillas become a regular part of your new improved diet :)

dan said...

Actually, corn is forbidden! Which is sort of a bummer, but I think it may be possible to concoct some sort of nut flour tortillas. We shall see!

Nobodyatall said...

WHAT. Once again, I win.

Unknown said...

!!!!!!!!

Adam said...

Hey Dan, I wish you really good luck on conquering the colitis. Its a tough one to get past, but many people have, and you should be able to as well. Big thing is keep your spirits up, I too lost tons of weight, and went through most of the horrible things that colitis deals. thanks for the link to my blog ihaveuc and keep me posted on how things unravel for you. best regards,
Adam

dan said...

Thanks for your comment, Adam! I wanted to let you know that I really, really enjoy your blog. The content is very helpful, supportive, and your sense of humor is great! Thanks for randomly following me on Twitter and helping me discover it.

Aaron Brungardt said...

CAN YOU HAVE HONEY BACKED HAM?

dan said...

LOL, yes, in fact, honey baked ham would be perfectly acceptable. I shall permit you to treat me to a honey baked ham with pineapple and cloves when the opportunity arises :)

Aaron Brungardt said...

what about honey-backed ham like i initially asked. lol