"Do not neglect medical treatment when it is necessary, but leave it off when health has been restored...Treat disease through diet, by preference, refraining from the use of drugs." - Bahá'u'lláh

Tuesday, September 06, 2005

No, it's Dan

I officially have a speech impediment that makes me unable to pronounce my own name. Here is a very typical conversation:

Someone: Hey, what's your name?
Me: Dan.
Someone: Den?
Me: Dan.
Someone: Huh? Den?
Me: No, it's Dan.
Someone: Oh, Dan. Nice to meet you.

A variant of this is that I will briefly meet someone, and hours or days later they will see me and say "Hey Ben", trying to rationalize what they heard as "Den". This has happened multiple times in the past few days.

I think the solution is introducing myself as Daniel, rather than Dan. (Danny will surely evoke "Denny?"). I've tried this a few times and it seems to work. It also has the side effect of making me sound more classy.

3 comments:

emily oi! said...

'ta bueno, 'ta bueno.

Anonymous said...

I agree, Danny is probably a bad idea. People will come to your room expecting subpar food and indifferent service 24 hours a day.

-dbp

Marjan said...

SO TRUE.
but it's not a speech impediment, is it?
Oh Deniel.