"Do not neglect medical treatment when it is necessary, but leave it off when health has been restored...Treat disease through diet, by preference, refraining from the use of drugs." - Bahá'u'lláh

Wednesday, October 17, 2007

Castanyes torrades

This evening I rode my bike all the way down to campus, to find out that my Pragmatics professor was out with a migraine. The trip, however, was not made in vain:



As I was leaving, I passed by a woman on the side of street selling roasted chestnuts. Never having sampled the delights of their flavor, I was intrigued, and turned back to purchase a dozen. At 20 eurocents a piece, they were a bit pricey, but incredibly delicious nonetheless. Instead of going straight home, I took a walk around campus with a newspaper pocket full of warm chestnuts, and finally ended up sitting on a bench eagerly eating them like a squirrel.

Apparently there is a very important custom here called the Castanyada, which is celebrated on All Saints Day (November 1) and involves roasted chestnuts. I can't wait.

No comments: